Oh, so yummy! My mom got this recipe when I was in kindergarten and basically made these my whole childhood. I then made them throughout the years my kids were growing up, and every time I went to a church potluck or took food to someone who was sick or who just had a baby. It’s a simple, kid-friendly recipe that never gets old. So let’s get right to it:
- 1# ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 can flaky biscuits (10 per can size)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 400. Brown and drain the meat. Stir onion, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar into meat. Flatten each biscuit and press them into the cups of a muffin tin, one biscuit in each cup. Make sure biscuit dough goes all the way up the sides of the muffin cup. Spoon meat mixture into cups; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 min., cool, remove from muffin tin. Makes 5 servings.
- You can easily let kids help you with this! They will love flattening the biscuit dough and sprinkling the cheese on top.
- This can be adapted so many ways… tuna, shredded chicken breasts, flaked white fish–cheddar cheese, mozarella, monterey jack–the possibilities are endless!! (My favorite is ground turkey with extra-sharp cheddar.)
- When removing the barbecue cups from the tins, make sure they are cooled, and carefully use a large spoon or rubber spatula.
- I serve these with either green beans or a salad.